- Why does Iago hate Othello?
- How does Brabantio find out about his
- What descriptions does Iago use to make
- Who accuses Othello of witchcraft? Why?
Act I, Scene
- According to Othello, how did he and Desdemona
fall in love?
- Where does the Duke send Othello?
- How does Iago persuade Roderigo that he hasn’t
completely lost Desdemona? What
phrase does Iago use to “comfort” Roderigo at this point?
- What plan does Iago come up with for ruining
- What other reason does Iago give for revenge?
- Does Iago really think that Cassio and Desdemona
- What “proof” will Iago use against Cassio
- Why does Iago make sure Cassio gets drunk?
- Whom does Cassio wound?
- How does Iago “play both sides” when telling
Othello what happened?
- How does Othello punish Cassio for his part in
- What does Iago say to persuade Cassio to go to
- How does Iago convince Roderigo not to go back
- What are Cassio and Desdemona talking about when
- Why does Cassio leave Desdemona quickly when
Iago and Othello arrive?
- How does Iago raise suspicions about Desdemona
in Othello’s mind? Be
- What effect does Iago’s repetition of “I see
you’re moved” have on Othello?
What does this stage direction tell us about how Othello should
be reacting to Iago’s speech?
- How does Iago end up with Desdemona’s
- Othello threatens to kill Iago.
What does Othello want from Iago to keep from killing him?
How does this, in a sense, seal Othello’s fate?
- Describe the “proof” Iago gives Othello about Cassio at this point
(“sleeping talk”)? Is
it concrete? Explain.
- According to Othello, what are the origins of
the lost handkerchief? Do
you think he is telling her the truth?
- Describe what Emilia has to say about Othello
- What does Iago say that causes Othello to fall
into a trance?
- Why does Iago joke with Cassio about Bianca?
How is this furthering his plot?
- What did Cassio leave in Bianca’s chamber that
has made her so angry? Is
Cassio “guilty?” Explain.
- How does Iago suggest Othello should kill
- What does Othello do to Desdemona in front of
- Why does Othello question Emilia?
- What names does Othello call Desdemona to her
- To whom does Desdemona go for advice about what
to do about Othello’s accusations?
Why is this so ironic? What
type of irony is this?
- What does Roderigo agree to do for Iago?
IV, Scene iii
- What does Othello order Desdemona to do after
- Where did Desdemona learn the "Willow
Song?" What’s the
- Summarize Emilia’s speech about husbands and
- How does Roderigo get wounded?
- How does Cassio get wounded?
- How and why does Iago kill Roderigo?
- What does Othello do before he kills Desdemona?
- How does Othello kill Desdemona?
- What does Desdemona tell Emilia before she dies?
- How does Othello learn that his suspicions about
Desdemona are wrong?
- What happens to Emilia?
Why is this ironic?
- What are Iago’s last words?
Explain their significance.
- What does Cassio give Othello?
- How does Othello die?
- What will happen to Iago after the end of the